The coconut tree is a popular plant in Vietnam. When it comes to coconuts, we often think of coconuts for drinks or food. Few people know that the coconut tree also contains many unexpected economic values for many industries, improving the quality of life and developing society. Let’s take an overview of these industries right in this article below.
1. Agriculture Industry
In the past, the harvesting of coconuts and their husks was considered part of the waste or for burning fuel, and they did not have much economic benefit.
However, now, contrary to the traditional thinking, the use of coconut husks produces coco coir being known as a superb growing substrate and an ideal alternative substrate product. This breakthrough helps contribute to changing conventional farming methods to modernizing ones using new technologies introduced into cultivation. Moreover, it also helps to increase productivity and improve agricultural product value.
Coir peat has many advantages over other growing substrates such as:
- Good absorbency and drainage
- Suitable for root growth
- Easy to add and adjust nutrients to a certain level to suit the crops
- Increase crop yield
- Reduce harvest time compared to traditional sowing
- Easy to use in high-tech agribusiness (greenhouse)
In addition, there are products such as plant pots, pesticides, fertilizers from coconut, etc.
2. Food Industry
Coconut is known as a common ingredient in food processing. Coconut, copra, and coconut water can all be processed to yield high-value products.
Whole coconut fruit: shelled and processed to make coconut beverages.
- Whole coconut fruit: shelled and processed to make coconut beverages.
- Coconut copra is used in the production of coconut milk products, coconut oil extract, coconut cream, and coconut milk…
- Coconut is one of the main ingredients for all kinds of dishes and drinks.
3. Interior Design Industry
Not only the coconut has economic values, but the trunk of the coconut tree also plays a significant part in the field of furniture design.
- Coconut trunk: is usually a perennial coconut used as a form of wood to make furniture, cabinets, wall frames…
- Coconut leaves: used as a roof for landscape construction, products close to nature.
In addition, coconut is also processed into kitchen utensils such as cups, bowls, chopsticks,…
4. Cosmetic industry
Coconut is used as a natural cosmetic ingredient, is safe, and contributes to improving anti-aging ability. For cosmetics, coconut is often an ingredient in balms, scrubs, and hair restoration products and creates elasticity to protect the skin surface and so forth.
5. Medical industry
- Coconut water is a nutrient-rich product, classified by the World Health Organization (WHO) in the category of beneficial and safe beverages recommended. According to research, coconut water contain Cytokinin which has anti-aging and anti-cancer effects.
- The part of copra is extracted from coconut to produce coconut oil that can treat fever and headache.
- Coconut milk is not only a great ingredient for food, but it is also used to prepare substances to treat some eye infections and sore throats.
- Coconut flower: used to support the treatment of kidney disease.
In conclusion, coconut trees have plenty of benefits and value for various industries, contributing to not only the economy but also the people’s health and life. In Coco Coir Global, we are honored to be the leading coir substrate manufacturing company with top-grade products that are trusted and confirmed by many customers around the world.